Ajoblanco or “white gazpacho”, is a popular Spanish cold soup typical from Granada and Malaga. Ajoblanco traditionally is served on hot summer days, but it is also a great appetizer to start the celebrations, not only during summer season.
- 3 cups mineral or filtered water
- 7 ounces blanched almonds
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 ounces white bread, torn into small pieces
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 seedless grapes, peeled
- 1oz iberico ham
- Mix almonds, garlic and salt in a food processor and blend.
- Add bread, 1/2 cup of water, vinegar and blend until very smooth.
- Add remaining water, with the blender still running, add oil and blend until soup is emulsified.
- Transfer soup to a sealed container and refrigerate until very well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Cut up grapes, jamon and almonds into smaller pieces for sprinkling.
- Serve soup in small glasses or cups and sprinkle on top grapes, jamon and almonds.